From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:46:55 -0400
  You bring up an interesting question.  If a county region's name changed since
a historical event, such as a birth, a historian would be called to
both use the original name and indicate the name change for
accuracy's sake.  All of us who do southern history are aware of
the change in designation over time for African American people.
The use of "black," "Afro-American," and "African American" is a
convention now commonly used and generally understood.  The go
back to using 18th or 19th century racial terms would be the
anachronism, not Henry Wiencek's use of African American in his
original post.
Harold