From:
Suzanne Matson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:23:20 -0500
Regarding Spotswood's Germans, there were two groups, one in 1714 and one
in 1717/1718. Living at Fort Germanna for some years, the 1714 group was
not granted land by Spotswood. The land they were granted was located in
the Northern Neck Proprietary (then Stafford County, today Fauquier County)
and thus granted by Lady Fairfax who had the misfortune to die before the
transaction was completed. The land was granted on behalf of the 1714 group
to Jacob Holtzclaw, John Fishback, and John Hoffman, the three who had been
naturalized by that time (See Volume A, 63 of Northern Neck Land Grants).
It is questionable as to the dates the others were naturalized, if in fact,
they ever were. The Rent Roll 1738-1739 Prince William County, Hamilton
indicates that Fishback and Holtzclaw were still paying the taxes on the
original grant (typed transcript from Bull Run Regional Library, Manassas,
Virgina, original held at the Huntington Library).