From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 08:58:12 -0400
This was part of the Six Nations' meeting with the various government
officials from Maryland and Virginia in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, on June
17, 1744. This was where the members of the Six Nations' were given the
offer to send their sons to William and Mary, and other colleges I
believe, and they responded to this on the following day.  The response
may have been sent by Conassatego, the wise Delaware chief, who was one
of the participants of the 1744 conference. This letter has been quoted
in many sources since the early 19th century, including a more
modernized abstract of it in both the "Southern Literary Messenger,"
vol. 2, No. 4, March 1836, and in Samuel G. Drake's "Biography and
History of the Indians of North America," Third Edition, O.L. Perkins
and Hillard, Gray & Company, Boston, 1834, Book 1, Ch. 35, p. 27. The
more recent book, "Letters of a Nation" by Andrew Carroll is said to
have the more accurate version of it along with McLuhan's book, "Touch
the Earth." Perhaps some historian out there can be of help to us
regarding the original source's current location.