From:
"Grundset, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 07:58:37 -0400
Earl Hamner's "The Homecoming" was a novel and then a television movie, which eventually lead to the television program "The Waltons." His movie "Spencer's Mountain" (starring Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Sullivan, and James MacArthur)ended up being filmed and (I think) set in Wyoming but was based on his Virginia family -- loosely -- at least Earl's paternal grandmother was a Spencer from Buckingham County anyway!

I also remember a science fiction novel set in the Shenandoah Valley after a nuclear war, but I can't remember the title. It was probably written in the 1960s. Seems like the word "spring" was in the title somehow.

A search of the Library of Congress' catalog and that of the Library of Virginia and other large libraries will result in many titles (except the one I can't remember in the previous paragraph!).

Eric G. Grundset
Library Director
DAR Library
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
1776 D St., N.W.
Washington, DC 20006-5303
202-879-3313 (phone)
202-879-3227 (fax)