From:
Bill Trout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:36:23 -0500
The canal society's Shenandoah River Atlas, 1997 (see
www.vacanals.org/store)  focuses on the history and archaeology of gundalow
and batteau navigation on the Shenandoah and its branches but we know little
about the Colonial period, before the Patowmack Company began making
improvements. Bob Kapsch's The Potomac Canal (WV Univ. Press, 2007) has
additional references.

Other canal society atlases covering navigation on rivers west of the Blue
Ridge are the Upper James Atlas and the New River Atlas. A Holston, Clinch
and Powell's Rivers Atlas is in the works.