From:
Bill Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 06:23:12 -0800
It looks like the correct answer is "it depends." Probably more than you want to know on the subject: http://alanmacfarlane.com/TEXTS/bastardy.pdf

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:51 PM, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I should have known the discussion would veer off the main topic to
slavery,
though my main question was about bastard children of ANY color being
baptized
by the Anglican Church, which I had thought was against canon law. (Paul, I
didn't mean to imply I only got that notion from *Tess of the
d'Urbervilles*--I
just threw that in for some humor.)--Craig Kilby

Original email: