From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:00:14 -0400

Hi Folks,

This is the regular reminder of the upcoming meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond.  We will gather on Wednesday, September 15, to hear Tony Williams speak about "Inoculation and the Revolutionary War."  He has authored The Pox and the Covenant and The Hurricane of Independence.  Forty three of us enjoyed Tony's presentation of last year.  Details are at http://arrt-richmond.org/3.html.  As usual, dinner will be in the Heilman Dining Center from 5:30 until 6:30, when the meeting will begin.  Please join us.

Also, as a reminder, please don't forget about the Dr. Harry M. Ward Recognition and Roast Dinner on October 16, at the University of Richmond.  Responses have been rolling in, and we will be happy to accept yours at next week's meeting.  Please let me know if you need any additional details.

Finally, remember that:

Lafayette: The Lost Hero, the PBS documentary that tells the life story of the Marquis de Lafayette, that controversial figure from both the American and French Revolutions, premieres nationally on PBS stations on Monday, September 13 at 10 p.m. ET.

You can watch and/or embed on your site an online trailer for the film at http://vimeo.com/8698282.   As noted in the trailer, "History has an imperfect memory . . .  France and America have always had a strange, love-hate relationship . . . Neither side likes to admit it, but each defines itself -- at least partly -- by the other.  . . . Maybe the Marquis de Lafayette, this figure from the distant past, a foreigner, a Frenchman, can tell us something important about ourselves, and help us remember a time when America emerged as the symbol of freedom in the world.  Following his trail into the past, we might even understand more about where we're headed now."  [The narrator in the trailer (and the film) is actor John Cullum (Northern Exposure,  ER, The Middle).]

Also, there are details below about a Facebook page for the film, set up by filmmaker Oren Jacoby, and where to go to download photos.  If you have any further questions about the program, please just let me know.

-Kate
Kate Kelly, National Publicity Manager, WETA
[log in to unmask] / 703.998.2072 (w)

Get More Information, Download Photos at the PBS Pressroom for Lafayette: The Lost Hero:
http://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/l/LAFAYETTE-THE-LOST-HERO.aspx

Watch and Embed the Trailer for Lafayette: The Lost Hero (2 min, 45 sec.):
http://vimeo.com/8698282

Visit the Facebook Page for Lafayette: The Lost Hero:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lafayette-The-Lost-Hero/143476432346088

See you next week.

Bill Welsch