From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:27:30 -0400
In the spirit of the 1960's TV show DRAGNET..........."Just the facts, Mam".

I really do not know what all this is about, just having returned from a Lonnnnnng weekend in Williamsburg (See my other EMail.)  But obviously there are some strong feelings out there about what is and what is not being done by somebody or other.

But in the heat of the battle, I ask that we all try to start with correct facts.  There was no Colonel William Cabell who led troops at Yorktown.  The elder "Colonel William Cabell" served as a Colonel in the French and Indian Wars, but for the entire Revolution served on the Virginia Committee of Safety, and thus (as I understand it) was prohibited from being in the army.  His son, William Cabell, Jr. was a student at William and Mary in 1781, and served (as a private soldier as far as I know) with the William and Mary Company.  The company is said to have served under his uncle Col. Joseph Cabell.  (and just to complicate things, young William Jr. was later known as "Col. William Cabell, Jr." but that was certainly  from his Revolutionary War service in the ranks.)

If there is any "good news" in this tempest, it is that it does liven up discussion of history, highlights some things that we might do better, but lets get the facts straight.

Randolph Cabell
Boyce, Virginia