From:
marsha moses <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:35:48 -0500
I think that it is very interesting how important logging was in the
late 1800's and early 1900's.  I am amazed at how many of the men that I
am looking at were involved with railroad ties, or logging in any form.
I would be interested in more information about this topic in general on
this list and on some of my other lists.  I think that we lose sight of
the fact that timber was such a BIG cash crop in that time frame.

A funny coincidence:  my Hawkins line moved from Lousia/Orange County
Virginia to CABELL county in what is now WV and became involved in
selling Railroad ties to both the C&O and the N&W.

And on another completely unrelated line in eastern Ky, I have a distant
cousin probably removed once or twice who remembers in her prime (she is
over 100) hand hewing a railroad tie to take into Louisa, Kentucky to
sell when she needed something extra in her household....perhaps a child
who needed new clothes for a special event...or well you get the
idea.....something that her household found to be a luxury.  The rivers
and railroads and timber were so interconnected.  I would like to be
included, Randy, on any information that gets exchanged on this topic.
marsha in WV