From:
Eric Cheezum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:41:55 -0400
Dear VA-HIST,

I am hoping to put together a panel for the Third Virginia Forum in
April 2008 on the effects of suburbanization, tourism, and
development on the culture of Virginia in the second half of the
twentieth century. My paper would examine the conflict that emerged
between native and non-native residents of the Northern Neck, as
outsiders increasingly came to regard water as a place for play and
aesthetic appreciation over work. Those clashes took the form of
vocal debates over the possible existence of a sea monster, Chessie.
I would welcome other papers dealing with similar themes either along
the Bay or in other geographic fields across the state.

If anyone is interested in joining me or discussing the panel's
parameters more fully, please send me an email at

Best Regards,
Eric Cheezum
University of South Carolina