From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:31:26 -0400
What an interesting discussion this has become. I suppose my favorite example is Columbia County, Georgia 1870 census. This was deep south federally occupied territory with black Re-constructionist era hirelings doing the census. Here we find all sorts of people enumerated that were never known before, and perhaps just made up out of whole cloth, perhaps still just never acknowledged before. It's a great read, and a great story and one that deserves more study.

The entire Reconstruction era is not an area of study that gets much attention. Corruption was rampant and abuses were awful. It gave rise to the terrible Jim Crow laws and the KKK. It is  a disturbing and dark period in our national history, to say the least. Dark and terrible indeed, but still, it happened, and it needs to be talked about. There are no clean skirts here and I suspect this is why this epoch is brushed under the rug and largely ignored--or worse, painted over.

Craig