From:
"Lois M. Leveen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2023 18:03:25 -0700
Unstated in this excellent piece is how this “free” technology is already generating enormous costs, and who bears that cost.  In this example, we see how ChatGPT invents a citation that doesn’t exist, and two Library of Virginia staff devote considerable time trying to locate the non-exist “source” for a researcher.  Multiply that times every reader who might try to pursue an invented citation, and consider the toll on library budgets.

This, of course, does not begin to approach the toll when the invented citations involve things like fabricated medical interventions, etc.

It’s true that every new information technology — such as the printing press — can have radical and unexpected effects.  But the level at which these technologies can rapidly spread completely invented “information” is unprecedented.

All of which underscores the problem with our general assumption that new technology always equate to progress, and that technology should only be regulated AFTER it had done tremendous harm.

Librarians do a tremendous amount of good in this world; I just hope we aren’t about to drown them in impossible responsibilities.

Lois Leveen, PhD
Portland OR 97214
she/her/hers

Latest article:  Imperfect Justice in the Imperfect Archive: Uncovering Extrajudicial Black Resistance in Richmond’s Civil War Court Records <https://www.journalofthecivilwarera.org/2023/02/imperfect-justice-in-the-imperfect-archive-uncovering-extrajudicial-black-resistance-in-richmonds-civil-war-court-records/>