From:
Linda Threadgill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:58:42 -0700
Hi,
I have been a member of this mailing list off and on since 1996. There
was a time when many of us enjoyed the discussions about Virginia
history, especially those of us not from VA, but whose family have roots
in this state.

Lately the forum seems to have become one used to argue and push certain
people's agendas. There are still great people on this list who are not
heard from. I think this is due to the nature of the most recent posts.
I am getting very tired of the on going racist arguments. I have to say,
some of our members are a very creative bunch. It seems that any topic
can be turned into something that has to do with slavery or the War
Between the States.

I am going on vacation next week and will be unsubbing. I am seriously
considering leaving this list permanently. I ask the list members to
please consider those of us who enjoy reading the messages, but comment
very little. All posts don't need or require a response. That is what
your delete key is for. There have been many times over the last several
weeks that I could have contributed to the discussion. I am a mixed race
person. Yes, I have done DNA testing so I know this is a fact. I belong
to one of America's First Families, the Charitys. My maiden name is
Stith. I descended from the African American Stiths who were slaves, but
had connections to the Jeffersons, Washingtons, Lees, Bollings,
Randolphs, Masons, Goodwyns, etc as well as to the Hairstons. Thru my
Charity and Jones families I have connections to former Gov. Wilder. One
of my distant Charity cousins was Arthur Ashe's tennis coach when he was
growing up in Richmond. I also have family ties to England and Scotland
thru my maternal family line which is also out of VA and TN. My paternal
lines are from Charles City, Surry, Sussex, Southampton and Greensville
Counties. I am a very distant relative to Nat Turner and have cousins
who have connections to the families that were killed by Nat Turner. My
greatgreatgrandfather was Henry Grizzard who was from the Ambrose
Grizard (Grisard) line of Southampton County and who were relatives to
Judge Powell. And last but not least, my aunt was an English teacher at
Maggie Walker High School. So you see you were talking about my families
and I was not pleased. BUT, I also did not comment.

I have communicated with Henry and Paul in the past and respect their
work. Most of the others who commented, I have no issue with, but "J

Linda Stith Threadgill whose family names also include  Massenburg,
Ruffin, Green, Adkins, Bradby, Miles, Ford, McKenzie, McCaleb, Thomas,
Glenn, Liggins surnames to name only a few.