Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:15:49 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
     Could he have surrendered and released without a O of A ? I
 know of no record, either in his regimental rosters, pension files, or
 Service Record that show him as having taken the Oath.

 William

Considering the case, he was captured and let go by some of George Stoneman's
raiders.  He very well may have been paroled.  Stoneman was on a raid and
didn't need to be burdened by prisoners.  (Yes I know there were exceptions
for those captured at Boone, NC on March 30-31, 1865).

In any event, they may have given your ancestor a piece of paper to take with
him.  Presumably they made a copy for themselves as well, but remember they
were on a raid.  Members of this raiding party got caught in high water later
when trying to ford the Yadkin River in Wilkes Co., NC.  Perhaps the papers
got waterlogged and tossed.  Perhaps they got tired of keeping them and
pitched them out.  Perhaps they just got lost, at any rate they never made it
to the service file, which was compiled many years later.  To be honest you
probably will never find a copy of it, if one were ever issued.  (It is
possible, but not likely.)  And on this subject, I know where of I speak,
having abstracted literally thousands of these records for the Virginia
Regimental History series volumes.

Good luck, but don't dwell on it.

Warm regards
Jeff Weaver