From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:00:59 -0400
On Sep 25, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Herbert Barger wrote:

> I am not familiar with TV shows regarding DNA. All I know that the "Y"
> was used for the TJ study and there is absolutely (at that time,) not
> test to determine given names.
Within the parameters of the test and the subject matter at the time,
that is correct.

> I personally do not object to science
> obtaining Mr Jefferson's DNA,
Excellent. I'm assuming you'd push for that?

> however I have enough faith in the
> geneticists that inform me that even if available it would still be
> matching DNA to the five Jefferson males selected for the study.
Ideally, it would go after all the DNA it could get to definitively
prove the relationships or lack thereof.

> I do
> not believe the American public would "go along" with such amateurish
> digging.
That doesn't follow. Any work done on TJ, or RJ or any of the others
would of necessity have to adhere to the highest archaeological and
scientific standards to be accepted.

> There is no "double standard" here but if the Madison Hemings family
> are
> so sure that they descend from ANY Jefferson why won't they promote
> and
> approve this dig
In this issue, there are double, triple and quadruple standards and
that is the crux of the problem. The St. Thomas brigade believes and
wishes for there to be no definitive proof that TJ fathered a child or
children with SH. The Madison and Eston brigades seem to want to
believe, no matter what, that there is a Jefferson in the family tree.
Both sides are the extremes in this matter. It can be inferred that
there is more than a smattering of racism from both extremes.

Not allowing the full and unbiased DNA testing of all parties
concerned will do nothing but cause problems. As Herb points out
correctly, there are books that twist the DNA results way beyond the
realm of possibility. That happens when you have non-scientific types
writing about science and for that matter in lots of endeavors. And it
happens when you have agenda driven writers, etc. And it is not
limited to this argument either, but that's another flame war.

> ......there is NO DNA proof that Madison and Eston SHARE
> a common father. If they were to gain this valuable DNA then a
> possible
> Madison/Carr brother match would occur just as the Carr boys claimed.
> When we tested ONLY ONE, then that only cleared the Carrs for that
> ONE,(Eston).
That would be correct.

> Monticello using the biased and defective Monticello Study
> still believe that not only TJ may have fathered one but ALL
That is a misinterpretation of the test results, yes.

> and that is
> preposterous BIAS.
And it is nearly as big (based on smaller numbers) a preposterous BIAS
to argue that TJ cannot possibly have fathered a child with SH.

> I have called upon them to again conduct another
> study using balanced research not intentional maneuvering as discussed
> on earlier posts.
Historical research is not going to solve it. DNA can do that and it
is the only test which has any possibility of so doing.

An instructive aside: A small church in London called Spitalfields
(derived from Hospital Fields) had a crypt full of folks in lead
coffins. The church desired to turn the crypt into some form of
community center. They contacted the descendants of the folks in the
coffins and involved them in the move and those who were willing had
their ancestors investigated by physical anthropologists using
standard methods. And this was done by a good number of PA's as a test
case. The results were amazing. One woman, as far as I remember, was
determined by the PA's to have been in her late 30's when she died,
childless. In actual fact, she was in her 80's and had had numerous
children. Whoops. What that taught the PA's was that they needed to go
back and examine the evidence firsthand to correlate it with the
historic information. That was done and archaeology and physical
anthropology are much the better off for it. This was made into a TV
program called "The Skeletons at Spitalfields".

While it may have been embarrassing for the PA's at first, their
adherence to academic and scientific principles superseded other
considerations and they worked through the problems and arrived at a
better level of knowledge than they formerly had.

It is my opinion that both sides in the TJ issue need to do just that
and if they really wish to get at the truth, however embarrassing it
may or may not be, then they will support additional and definitive
testing.

So, Herb, are you up for that? Chips fall where they may? Full
disclosure, etc as a precondition?

Lyle Browning