From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 13:24:51 -0400
Tom raises some good points. Religion could have been a motivating factor in this will. Since he gave large sums of money to various society women, but not to any charitable causes directly, may indicate these women were part of a broader network and as Tom suggests, one possible activity was the underground railroad. What do these women all have in common with one another? If you can find a common thread, you may have an answer as to his motives. And by all means knowing his religious affiliation would be an important thing to learn. As well as of the various women. Also, was he a member of the American Colonization Society? I'd lean toward no on that answer, since he doesn't mention sending his freed slaves to Liberia, but he may had sympthathy with that organization. Last, what were his politics, if that is known?

Craig