From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:00:25 -0400
I'm quite dubious about the attribution to Franklin.   Both the
sentiment and the language feel "off" to me.  (The intrepid can try to
check here:  http://franklinpapers.org/franklin/).

Unfortunately for all of us who enjoy a good epigram, the Internet
breeds false quotations like mildew in wet laundry, with the written
legacies of popular presidents and Founders among the primary
victims.   I've learned the hard way that skepticism is nearly always
warranted, which means that if you don't have an authoritative source
for a quotation found online, don't trust it.

Corollary: if you do have an authoritative source for a quotation
found online, please cite it when you pass the quotation along!

Thanks,

--Jurretta Heckscher