From:
"Valos, Troy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:13:30 +0000
Hello everyone,

I wanted to pass along some of the exciting events and classes we have going on here at the Sargeant Memorial Collection within the Slover Library here in Norfolk, Virginia.

1)      Book Talk - She Can Bring Us Home: Dr. Dorothy Boulding Ferebee

January 21 (Saturday)
2:00pm-4:00pm
                6th Floor - Room 650 Community Engagement Room

In the 1950s, Dr. Dorothy Boulding Ferebee, a physician and civil rights pioneer and native of Norfolk, was one of the most famous women in America.  She was a fearless advocate for African Americans and women.  Since her death in 1980, however, this once well-known leader has fallen into obscurity. Diane Kiesel talks about her new biography of Dr. Ferebee in the hope of bringing her many achievements to the attention of a new generation.  After the book talk, the author will sign books.

Registration is not required but encouraged for planning purposes.   Go to the book talk's Eventbrite page: https://nplsmcferebeebook.eventbrite.com

2)      African American Genealogy Class (Morning Session)
February 4 (Saturday)
10am-Noon
6th Floor - Room 640 Flex Meeting Room

Provides introductory instruction for genealogists in researching their African-American roots, and focuses on strategies and resources that will assist with this type of specialized research.  Space is limited to 45 per class, so registration is required.

The class is filling up quickly.  Register:  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/genealogy-class-african-american-genealogy-tickets-31028337593

All of our events and classes are free and open to everyone.   The events held here at Slover Library in downtown section of Norfolk, Virginia.

Slover Library, 235 East Plume Street, Norfolk, Virginia 23510    Link in Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/EyojGLDbCy42

We are constantly adding new content to our Hampton Roads Heritage Project:  http://cdm15987.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/

We are constantly processing the materials in our Special Collections.  You can go to our archival catalog online to find items in our special collection here: http://smcarchives.libraryhost.com/

As always, we are here to help.  If you need research assistance, please contact us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or fill out our online contact form at:  http://www.norfolkpubliclibrary.org/local-history-genealogy/contact-us

For more information about us, visit us at: http://www.norfolkpubliclibrary.org/local-history-genealogy/

Sincerely,

Troy Valos
Special Collections Librarian