From:
John Philip Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 20:58:59 -0500
In this period of time, mixed blood lines could mean native American as much
as African American - slave. I can show several Cherokee families that a
parent was often of Scottish descent. You will see depictions of 'Indians'
with clothing resembling Scottish attire. Many children were sent back to
school in Scotland. Remember being a half breed was a social defect. So all
your comments about 'black blood' is an attempt to bring racial prejudices'
and mores of the 21st century against 17th and 18th societies, education,
and institutions. As a small additions why are we not bringing the people of
the north, i.e. Brown of Rhode Island as a prime example of someone who
benefitted economically upon the plight of the Africans he brought to our
country. TJ and his family were caught in the vortex of time. We should be
glad they gave us the cornerstones for this country of ours, not some place
like Somalia or some other war crime riddled place like that. A little
condemnation of the Slave trade of today certainly seems to be a little
remiss, while we are all ripping into TJ and other slave holders, like
Washington who freed his family's slaves upon his death. Martha's were her
'property' and he could or would not interfere with the Custis's family's
property. Sorry about that one. Slavery is always been the 800 pound gorilla
in the history of our beloved country. Hopefully it won't be the demise of
the USA.
DNA has brought out that instead of the Blacks of today being native
American, they are approximately 30% Caucasian or more. I have many 'Black'
Hawkins, James, Pearson, Lee, Pittman's, and other families  who are African
American. Most of you would be proud to have them for family members, I
certainly am glad they have kept me.
John Philip Adams
Texas