From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:08:25 -0500
My friend Alyson Taylor-White, editor of VIRGINIA REVIEW, sent me this
as her contribution to the discussion on Va-Hist about the greatest or
most important twentieth-century Virginian:

Oliver Hill is a good suggestion for a great 20th Century Virginian, but
he worked with a team to achieve his success.  Another great Virginian
would be George Marshall who created the Marshall Plan for Europe.
However, my vote for most important would be the first African American
to become Governor, L. Douglas Wilder.  A grandson of slaves, Doug,
unlike Oliver Hill and George Marshall, did not work with a team.  In
the words of Governor Mark Warner (who would know because he worked for
Wilder's gubernatorial campaign), "Doug Wilder does not work for anybody
but Doug Wilder."  He has gone on to make further history by helping to
change the form of government for the capital city and becoming the
first popularly elected mayor in decades.