From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:11:02 -0500
 It has become increasingly obvious the more that historians research
about slavery and the exeriences of enslaved people and of free blacks
in the slave south that a great variety of personal experiences existed
within the ostensibly strick laws of the slave system.

Permit me to recommend Melvin Patrick Ely's recent award-winning ISRAEL
ON THE APPOMATTOX, an extraordinarily subtle study of free blacks in a
slave county. The ways in which white people and black people, free
people and enslaved people, interacted is very instructive and shows,
among other things, that in some places and times and circumstances the
rigid laws were ruthlessly enforced but at others they were not. It is
not safe to generalize too far from a specific example. Even though the
laws required manumitted slaves to leave Virginia after 1806, local
community opinion often allowed them to remain.

PS: We ought to change the subject line on this discussion, which no
longer has much to do with Jefferson or conservatism or principles, even
though so far pretty good common sense has prevailed.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us