From:
Lyle Browning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2017 15:53:42 -0500
Hi All,

Two Richmond, VA firms built steam engines and other heavy objects and prior to standardization of RR Gauges in 1886, and moved these things as far as Texas. Despite rail gauge changes and having to detrain, unload, reload and do this possibly multiple times, the companies managed to ship by ocean-going vessels, rail and boat and then canal/river navigation systems as well.

My question is whether there are any surviving shipping rates for rail, ship or canals by which one can begin to see how big heavy objects were moved vast distances. I have a 1793 and 1844 Bill of Tariff from the James River & Kanawha Canal wherein it cost 40cents/ton/mile to ship beeswax as well as steam engines in 1844.

Any ideas on where to find these arcane data bits would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lyle Browning, RPA