From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:38:53 -0400
My ancestor, son of a respected, well-established, white family, settled in
Cumberland County in the 1780s with his slave.  They had nine children and
lived together as a family.  He freed his "wife" and those children who were
born enslaved.  He recognized his children in his will and left them land,
slaves, and other assets.  Several of these children had long-standing
relationships with white partners who recognized their mulatto off-spring.
In at least one instance, after the death of the white partner, the
surviving mulatto was described as the widow on the census.  So I suspect
that this behavior WAS fairly acceptable.

How could acceptability be objectively measured?  If a partner in an
inter-racial relationship were put on a jury, would that be a measure of
acceptability?  If such a partner were asked to stand up at a wedding, would
that be a measure?  Can anyone think of any other objective measurements?

Sally Phillips