From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:57:44 +0000
It was the same in Richmond (Virginia).
Teachers who wanted to remain employed did not announce a pregnancy and continued to work until it was obvious they were pregnant (or had some strange condition that caused "excessive bloating").  I only had female teachers, and many of them were over the age of 50-- never married or widowed.  The few younger ones didn't stay long.  There was a definite sense of something "wrong" and to be spoken of in whispers if a married teacher was suspected of being pregnant-- as if it might be a scandal.  I guess any unmarried teacher who became pregnant was expected to go to Siberia.

--
Melinda C. P. Skinner
Richmond, VA

From: Judith Bailey Gabor <[log in to unmask]>