From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:11:53 -0500
The following letter has been mailed this date.

The Honorable Bob Goodlatte

7 Court Square

Staunton, VA 24401

Dear Bob,

In the 1980's, I "partnered" with the late and our former Representative Robinson in an unsuccessful attempt to
convince our Commonwealth's General Assembly to participate with "Washington" in a program to develop State
Veterans cemeteries. At that time and today, a deceased veteran of the Western region of this Commonwealth had to
be interned in the Culpeper or Arlington National Cemeteries, as there is no room in the National Cemeteries here
in the Shenandoah Valley.

The idea was to select Civil War Battlefield sites that were in private hands and negotiate their transfer and
development into State Veterans cemeteries.

In your future, the survivors of our Virginia "modern" war veterans - those several conflicts since the Korea War -
will seek burial sites that best honor the grand service that their loved ones performed for our Nation and our
Commonwealth. There will be a need.

Surly, we are well beyond and above any attitudes such that the heritage of the past could be merged with the
current to honor both, provide a need, and preserve historical sites of value to the whole Nation.

Very Respectfully,

W. R. Waddell, Jr.

109 Rolla Mill Road

Verona, Va. 24482