From:
Susan Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:59:51 -0500
I appreciate Professor Finkelman's response. We are definitely in agreement
regarding "mythic marble statue" people. We need to view people like
Jefferson in context, otherwise he becomes what I'm going to call an
"historical figurine"  People are never consistent in all things. People
can be ahead of their time in someways and retrograde in others. UVA
created a Cult of Jefferson and it worked well for a time, frankly, a
rather long time. Now, it isn't working as well. Must UVA abandon "Mr.
Jefferson" wholesale? It is an excellent opportunity for some bright people
to tackle a very difficult problem or set of problems around history
becoming hagiography and what to do in the aftermath.Is there a better
example than Jefferson, other than Lincoln?

I think your last graph makes clear some of the difficulties of moving
beyond the figurine. Perhaps we should simply abandon the concept of role
models completely. In any case, I think college students can and will find
their own people to admire and aspire to emulate. That is their work, if
they choose to do it at all. I don't know if I have ever had one that
wasn't fictional. Then again, role models whether based in fact or drawn
from history are essentially fictional as we have discovered with
Jefferson, Bill Cosby, and other celebrities too numerous to mention.