From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:37:52 -0500
My esteemed coKevin (Kevin Hayes) wrote:

> But there are other ways to repay the debt, and to acknowledge
> publically not only the crime, but the deep taint it left
> behind.  For example, we have an excellent and well funded
> museum on the mall in Washington DC dedicated to the study and
> memory of an historical crime that did not take place in the
> U.S., and in which, the U.S. was not involved to anywhere near
> the same degree as it was in the crime of slavery.  Why is
> there no museum dedicated to the study of plantation slavery
> in our nation's capital, in the space we as a people set aside
> to allocate to the memorialization of our heritage?
And how about a national park based around one of the great historic plantation homes--and instead of showcasing the supposed gentility of the Big House, starting in the slave quarter and only entering the house as the slaves would have, and focusing on slave life in the quarter and the fields?

Kevin J. Berland
(still disturbed by visits to some Louisiana plantations some time ago)