From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:16:34 -0700
Paul,
My point is that my Native Ancestors kept some of their traditions, even
though they adopted some white ways. The fact of who they married did not
prevent them from appreciating their culture. I don't know why people marry
who they marry, but my guess is that some marry for love and others for
convenience.

Anita

>From: Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Indian servants/slaves
>Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:11:07 -0500
>
>A Nansemond Indian woman married John Bass in 1638. Their descendants lived
>among the English in Norfolk County. Nansemond culture did not work in
>those surroundings, so her descendants, and probably she as well, adopted
>English ways. Why would that Nansemond Indian woman's culture have had a
>stronger effect on her descendants than the more recent marriage in 1729 to
>a free African American woman?
>
>If the family had maintained a strong Indian culture, why did they not
>marry other Indians instead of light-skinned African Americans and whites?
>Paul

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more!
http://mobile.msn.com