From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:59:26 -0700
One of Billie Holiday's songs comes to mind. It was titled, "Strange
Fruits."  I did not realize that she was referring to lynchings until I saw
one of her bios.  She went on a tour of the south, and saw a lynching, a
black man was hanging from a tree.  I forgot what state it was, and the year
of her tour escapes my mind. However, the song took on a new meaning once I
understood what she was referring to.

I don't believe that anyone is saying all whites agreed to lynchings, or
that the all belonged to the KKK. The ones who did were able to intimidate
those who did not want to belong. They bullied them into submission, and
many times they were church members, or Law enforcement. Those who carried
out these barbaric act, had the power to intimidate the others into silence.

Anita

>From: "Stephan A. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: The Law & Lynching (was Re: Topic Picnic and Its Derogatory
>Commitations along with Negro Barbeques)
>Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 03:36:42 -0400
>
>I wrote a piece on the Rosewood massacre and lynching which I will  send to
>anyone on the list who contacts me. To avoid the to and fro,  I tried to
>send it, so that those who were interested could download  it, but the list
>does not permit this.
>
>-- Stephan

Who's that on the Red Carpet? Play & win glamorous prizes.
http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=REDCARPET_hotmailtextlink3