From:
Jane Ailes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 20:18:03 -0500
Hollis,

The way to answer your questions about her economic status compared
to the rest of her community is to look at other inventory and
appraisements of this time period in this community.  She needs to be
compared to her own community, not a community in another county.

With that said, I haven't research in Norfolk, but my guess is that
she was doing quite well.  Some clues to that are the fact that she
owned slaves, and had an estate worth over $600.00.  Her personal
estate value is mostly her slaves, but her personal property also
included items such as 2 looking glasses, tea table, windsor chairs,
candle stick and silver table and teaspoons.  These are items you
don't normally see owned by someone who is living at a bare
subsistence level.

The other curious thing about her list of personal property is those
wooden trays.  Why would she need 22 wooden trays?  And what are
wooden trays used for?

Also, have you checked to see if she owned any real estate?  The real
property would not be included in this inventory and appraisement of
her personal property.

I'd also want to see the accounts and settlement of her estate.  Who
owed her money and did she owe anyone money?  You might be able to
discover something about her business by looking into the people she
did business with.

One more question:  Do you know how she obtained her freedom?  That
might be a clue to her possessions and her status in the community.

Just some quick thoughts, hope this helps,
Jane Ailes

At 01:20 PM 1/26/2007, Hollis Gentry wrote:
>I am in need of assistance in evaluating the estate of
>a free black woman in Norfolk in 1831.  I visted the
>website, but didn't find any sources that could help
>me place this inventory in its proper context.  If
>anyone can comment on it or offer suggestions on
>sources or contacts, I'd appreciate it.
>
>Below is what I have:
>
>Inventory and appraisement of the estate of Rose
>Reynolds decd a free woman of colour
>
>Edward negro man 45 yrs of age           200.
>negro woman and three children           400.
><snip>
>Total                                   $694.50
>
>Where would she have stood economically within the
>community at that time?
<snip>