From:
Andrew Means <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:29:41 -0500
Greetings,
  A new subject for the list-serve.  I am researching the prevalence of
nationalist sentiments from the Virginia common-folk prior to the war of
1812 and would be interested in anyone's thoughts on the subject.  Having
already looked at some of the archival material from soldiers and their
families during the early months of the war, it seems that many people
increasingly used nationalist symbolism in some of their letters, both from
the soldiers themselves, or their wives. The speed and reliability of the
dissemination of news and newspapers as well as correspondence seems to be a
factor in this as well.  Does anyone know of subscription records from
newspapers from this era?  I am particularly interested in newspapers from
the more predominantly federalist Alexandria, and republican Richmond and
their influence on their readers.

Your humble servant,
Andrew Means
University of Maryland