From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:22:57 -0400
According to Mary R. Miller, Place-Names of the Northern Neck of Virginia,
which the Library of Virginia published in 1975, Bunker Hill is located in
Westmoreland County, northwest of Grants Hill Church, northeast of
Leedstown. The text reads: "It was part of the Toby Smith patent of 1600
acres in 1654, and once the home of Max Robinson (died 1777), one of the
directors and trustees of the new town at Bray's Church called Leeds. There
is a hamlet in Durham called Bunker Hill and a number of Bunker's Hills in
England."

From that, I take it that Miller believes the hill's name comes from
somewhere else than the site of the famous battle in Massachusetts.

John

John T. Kneebone [log in to unmask]
Director, Publications and Educational Services
Library of Virginia http://www.lva.lib.va.us