From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:37:35 -0500
Don't shudder at the storage. Some of Hampshire Co. WV records were being
stored in the basement of the damp and dusty court house just a few years
ago in Romney, WV. I have no idea whether or not the Archive of West
Virginia came to the rescue or not. These were early Hampshire Co. Virginia
records. (AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!)

The people of Romney were very attached to their records and didn't want to
give them up - sighting how they were hidden from destruction during the
Civil War when Romney change hands some 60 or so times. (I can't remember
the number). They wanted their records to remain in Romney. I never followed
the story, so I don't know where the records are today.