From:
"Finkelman, Paul <[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2012 20:35:58 +0000
Re: Mrs. Barger's comments below (which I have purposefully left in this posting)

I did my PhD under Stanley N. Katz and John Hope Franklin at the University of Chicago.  I have never studied at Univ. of Virginia.
Peter Onuf is a good friend, but since we are roughly the same age it would have been very hard to study with him.
Since my scholarly credential and age (as well as Peter's) are readily available, I am truly shocked that Mr. Barger would be guilty of "setting aside questions of HISTORICAL ACCURACY" merely to make his own "PHILOSOPHICAL JUSTIFICATION" for his view point [Barger's caps.].

I have never argued that we should do anything but be historically accurate in our scholarship.  In my own work on Jefferson I point out, over and over again, that we must judge Jefferson by the standards of his age not ours.  For example, many slave owners (Washington for example) refused to sell slaves because they considered it deeply wrong. Mr. Jefferson had no such scruples.

Since I have only spoken at Monticello once and at UVa once, it is hard to imagine why Mr. Barger would try to blame Monticello for what I write.  I have (sadly) never had a grant  from Monticello or been invited to work there or do research there.  I once gave a paper at a conference there.

As for setting aside "historical accuracy" I would be enormously pleased if Mr. Barger would cite check all my quotations and footnotes in my book SLAVERY AND THE FOUNDERS:  RACE AND LIBERTY IN THE AGE OF JEFFERSON (2nd ed 2001) to make sure they are accurate.  I am planning a third edition and so if Mr. Barger can find any errors in my work, I would be extremely grateful as none of us wants to incorporate errors in our scholarship.  On the other hand, if he does not find any substantial errors (I am sure there is as typo here and there) perhaps he would like to publicly apologize to suggesting that my historical scholarship lacks "accuracy."

Mr. Barger is wrong about where I studied, who I studied with, who has funded me, and what I have done in my career.  But, then why should that surprise any of us? When one lives in a glass house as large as Mr. Barger, it would be useful to be accurate in the accusations one makes.

*************************
Paul Finkelman
John Hope Franklin Visiting Professor of American Legal History
Duke University School of Law
210 Science Drive
Box 90360
Durham, NC  27708-0360