Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:12:32 EST
I have been reading through these slave narratives on the web and have been
through the first five states and DC.  I am amazed at how these  interviewees
almost unanimously have fond memories of slavery days.  It is  true that there
are many comments about mean overseers and drivers (most of whom  were
apparently Black as well), but almost no comments about cruelty by  the slave
owners, and many comments about how their owners fired cruel  overseers.  I am also
struck by the fact most of the owners saw to it that  the slaves had some form
of religious training and  services on the  plantations, even if they didn't
have a separate church to attend (although many  apparently did attend the
White church).  Most seem to have had plenty to  eat, some noting the conditions
were better than their lives in freedom during  the Great Depression.

I haven't read anything "horrifying" that would require a cover up so far  in
the narratives, but intend to continue reading.

JD South
http://www.aol.com.