From:
Linda Threadgill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Threadgill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:42:14 -0700
I'm going to be honest here. The problem that I have with tracing slaves
from family to family is usually the lack of slaves having surnames. If you
have an ancestor with a common given name, you are probably not going to be
able to determine with any accuracy that a slave that is seen in the
documents is really the ancestor you are looking for. I think this method is
a highly overrated way of researching anyone who was considered a slave. The
slave schedules are no better. Both call for an assumption as opposed to
concrete evidence. IMHO, the best way for a slave descendant to determine a
connection to a particular family is thru DNA testing.