From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:11:24 -0400
I really envy all you folks in and around Richmond who get the beneft of great lectures.  Up here in the woods, we are actually closer to the capitals of Pennsylvania and Maryland than Richmond!!!!

In any case, I extend an offer related to my current passion -- Jamestowne - that may be of interest to people located within a reasonable driving distance of Boyce/Winchester.

Inspired by The Trumpeter of Jamestowne, and having been asked to make several talks, I have put together an entertaining 20-25 minute talk and demonstration on The Trumpeter.  It met with critical acclaim last week at the McLean Rotary Club, and I am scheduled for the Winchester Historical Society early next year.  You may have a venue that could use a lively presentation on how we got to where we are today with The Trumpeter.  Highlights of my pitch:

- Setting the stage.  The trumpet of today, featuring a live, jazzy (ala New Orleans Dixieland) tooting of whatever you would like -- 'Saints go Marching In', 'Ever Onward', 'Carry me Back to Old Virginia', etc.  (Good for keeping people awake after a big meal)

- Jump back to the time of Moses, 3500 years ago.  The shofar - the rams horn.  (Actually the one I got off EBay looks more like a cow's horn.)  Features me playing a couple of selections.  The thing only has two notes, so don't expect 'The Flight of the Bumble Bee.'

- Joshua and his Weapons-of-Mass-(Acoustic)-Destruction.  Thrill to the actual call. 'Remember my friends, what a handful of trumpet players did to the fabled walls of Jericho.' ....Prof. Harold Hill from Meredith Wilson's Music Man.  Assuming your structure can stand it, I play the actual call that brought down the walls, using a reproduction 1632 trumpet from Spain.

- A brief stop with Roland at the bridge ca 748a.d., AKA 'The Song of Roland'.  'Oh yeah man, won't you blow that thing!!!!'

- Fighting Tartar(s).  The Trumpeter of Krakow -- a bit of history and the actual call that the night watchman of 1241 played to arouse the people of the Polish capital of Krakow that the Tartars were preparing to attack.  Features a surprise ending -- certainly was a surprise to the watchman.  Still played today from the tower of St. Mary's Church in Krakow, 24/7 rain or shine.

- Trumpets in the 1500's:  Henry VIII, Sir Francis Drake, Shakespeare, etc.  Conquistadors and trumpets.

- Who was the Trumpeter of Jamestown and What did he play?  A Mystery.... but there are hints.

- The only tune that I can definitely 100% guarantee was played in the New World prior to Jamestowne -- 1586 to be precise.... The Wilhemus.....  And with enough persuasion, I shall even sing the first verse (there are 15) in the original Dutch.  Hearing me lumber through this is worth the price of admission itself.

- Back to the today...... Remembering The Trumpeter of Jamestowne as we celebrate 400 years of English America.

Of course, there is no charge for me or mileage, but if you are having lunch, I would appreciate a free one.  Also, the location has to be close enough that I can drive back to Boyce before the cows some home i.e. before it gets dark.

Randy Cabell
The Trumpeter of Boyce