From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:02:05 -0500
Folks,

    I am teaching a high school senior government class this semester and
last week started weekly debates which will continue until the students have
exhausted all interesting topics. Two classes for this week have chose the
topic of the Confederate Flag and whether or not it should be allowed on
apparel worn by high school students. This was prompted by the Channel One
newscast on Monday about a controversy over the same issue in a Florida
school.
    The two classes have formed teams and chose their speakers. Now they
must research the topic before the debate on Friday.

    If any of you can suggest pros or cons on the issue that have useful web
sites appropriate for use by high schoolers, I hope you will share them with
me at [log in to unmask] I know that those in favor of wearing the symbol
will talk about Southern Heritage, and I would especially like any help for
the cons on how this symbol has been used or involved in hate crimes, etc.
in the past. I know it has, in general, but I would like to see the kids
learn about specifics.

    Thanks for any help.

Anne