Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:57:40 EDT
Fortress Monroe certainly wasn't a "freedom fortress" for poor Jeff  Davis.

J South

In a message dated 10/23/2008 1:48:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Henry  Wiencek wrote (and here I have ruthlessly excerpted):

> It seems to  me that the cry of "Presentism! --
> Watch your mouth!" is bellowed only  when the
> subject of slavery comes up. ... But if you
> bring up  slavery (or H*m*ings), the rafters
> resound with "dirty Presentist, you  must hate
> America." It seems that slavery is the only
> subject  on which the present is not allowed
> to express a judgement on the past  ...

Thanks, and two comments for Henry plus a third for Anne Pemberton  (all
expressing agreement with them):
1. Andrew Levy speaks this very  afternoon at Monticello on his research
and writing on Robert Carter, the  slaveholding TJ contemporary whose
large-scale manumission example Levy  says shows at least two things:
manumission by TJ would not have been as  difficult as is often claimed,
and there's something wrong with a  historical tradition that overlooks
Carter's example to the extent and for  the length of time ours did. Levy's
American Scholar article in 2001  persuaded me that Levy is right, by the
way. In sum: I believe it's  perfectly tenable for the present to hold TJ
accountable for unnecessary  continuation of slaveholding. Call that
presentism if you like. I don't  believe it.
2. Everything about the fate of Fort Monroe depends on  Americans'
willingness -- not just historians' willingness, but  Americans'
willingness -- to think as constructive revisionists concerning  the
slavery era. At a shallow level, this implies presentism, but it's  not
presentism, in my view. The actual hate-America crowd may well turn out  to
be those who refuse to see that we still have plenty to learn about  the
history of liberty itself. And we can only do that by understanding  the
past in terms of what we have learned in the interim.
3. I too have  long thought that what we may need in a  self-sustaining,
revenue-generating, innovatively structured national park  akin to San
Francisco's Presidio is not a Fort Monroe National Park, but a  Freedom's
Fortress National Park. Thanks for that encouragement, Anne, and  I hope
you keep saying what you're saying.

Steve  Corneliussen