From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 23:20:22 -0500
Google only had 77,000 hits [of course I had to look it up!]; there
are 2 varieties in the Americas, they grow only in warm climates,
thrive in loamy or sandy soil, require a certain amount of rainfall
and warm temps, all such as are found in the south. It was thought
that they were brought over with African slaves, as they are not
found in northern Europe, but recent discoveries show they were here
before European exploration. They do cause anemia in people with poor
nutritional levels to begin with; well fed people can be
asymptomatic. The worms also cause a leakage of protein in the gut,
and while not fatal in themselves, they can cause death by secondary
disease due to the weakened state of the person. They also lead to
deficiencies in folic acid [which we have recently learned is vital
to the development of healthy babies] and B12, which would only
compound the anemia by making iron that much harder for the stomach
to absorb. Nasty little critters any way you look at it.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone