From:
Adrian Zolkover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:21:30 -0700
Hello Lyle Browning,

I'm new at responding to these and it appears like trees with branches as to
who receives your emails. Your comments about Jefferson's writings seem like
reasonable and educated observations. However, it brings to mind the saying
that politics is the art of dealing with reality. With this in mind, I think
the following is also worth including in your data before you come to your
final conclusions about Thomas Jefferson. I think Annette Gordon-Reed should
be a fairy tale writer or one who specializes in white lies, or worse,
deliberate lies about the person in his time whose actions did more to end
slavery and establish democracy in the United States than any one else I
know of. Stop ignoring verified historical documents published by experts in
genealogy and history. Stop ignoring his brother Randolph who even TJ said
was at times not incompetent to handle his own affairs, who lived 20 miles
away, who socialized with Thomas Jefferson's slaves, and who was widowed
about the time Sally began having babies, and remarried around the time
Sally stopped having babies; and Randolph's 4 sons who also visited and
lived at Monticello and were of child bearing age when Sally had her babies.
TJ's brilliance, accomplishments and principles, attractiveness and wisdom
indicate to me that it is likely if he wanted a lady or woman's company he
would not chose Sally; and that he could have his pick of many other
attractive and accomplished ladies and women. The way he lived his life at
home, when he was at Monticello, with his daughter, her husband who managed
Monticello, whose rooms were within seeing and hearing distance of TJ's; and
their 12 children; and rules that slaves were not to be in his quarters when
he was present indicates his tastes and rules of behavior did not lend to
Annette's made up tales. Does the fact that Sally didn't have her first baby
for 13 years after TJ's wife died  mean anything to you? Annette believes in
one fairy tale, imaginary born in France, non existent baby, or one whose
father was not TJ. Only one of Sally's children's descendants, Eston, were
DNA tested; and TJ was 65 years old when he was born. I think Thomas
Jefferson's flaws in character are principally fictional ones made up by
egocentric, often lying  observers. I recommend reading THE
JEFFERSON-HEMINGS MYTH published by The Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society;
and JEFFERSON VINDICATED by Cynthia Burton, genealogist. The information in
these books stems from historical documents and formal records. I resent
writers who think they can throw around any garbage that comes into their
minds AND MASQUERADE THAT, AND CLAIM IT IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.

(Ms.) Adrian Zolkover