Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:06:44 EDT
Transformations in Slavery by Paul E. Lovejoy, Slavery and African Life by
Patrick Manning and Africa and Africans in the Making of the Atlantic World
1400-1800 by John Thornton are good works on the early, and at that  point
exclusively African slave trade, through the worldwide expansion  into the 19th
century.  They name the names, cultures, tribes,  etc. who were the primary
movers in both the slave trade to the East (which was  considerably larger and
longer lasting than to the West) and in Africa itself,  the largest market by far.

J.D. Southmayd
a/k/a J south

In a message dated 6/25/2008 8:55:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,