From:
Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:31:16 -0400
A fellow researcher has turned up a document dated Sept. 13, 1833 from
an unnamed person who identified himself as the “undermessenger” of the
US Secretary of State. Would that have been the lowest-level of gopher?
I’d like to try to identify this person, but I don’t know if State Dept.
Records would list “undermessengers.” The document is of great interest
as it involved a back-door attempt to manumit a slave. The Secretary on
that date was Louis McLane, a “Non-career appointee,” according to the
State Dept. Website, from Delaware.

Henry Wiencek
Charlottesville