From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2023 13:30:25 -0400
I have a spreadsheet translated from the 1850 census of occupations, trades, etc for people apparently working from home. I had attached the spreadsheet but it bounced due to malware possibilities.

At the bottom is a list of establishments employing people with particular skills but they only list some of them. I had wondered where the furnace, foundry and other metal producers were in all that.

But, VA did have 2 bell founders. Any ideas on where they might have done their work?

Some of the numbers don’t seem to make any particular sense, such as only 2 veterinarians in the whole state. Teamsters seem low, and railroad workers are seemingly low in number, although some may be listed except in the Engineers category. 80 iron workers seems also very low given that Tredegar and the others in Richmond would seem to have all of them covered.

Lyle Browning

Working at/from home		US 1850 Census, pg 272, Table X. Professions, occupations and trades of the male population
Agents	290
Agriculturailm plement makers 	3
Apothecaries and druggists 	160
Apprentices 	348
Armorers	181
Artists 	15
Auctioneers 	39
Bakers 	196
Bankers 	13
Bank officers 	85
Barbers 	110
Barkeepers 	124
Basket makers 	66
Bell founders 	3
Bellows makers 	3
Black and white smiths 	4,202
Block and pump makers 	36
Boarding-house keapers 	108
Boat builders 	103
Boatmen	751
Boiler makers 	59
Bookbinders 	27
Booksellers and stationers 	35
Bottlers 	4
Box makers 	2
Brewers 	22
Brick makers 	113
Brokers	15
Broom makers 	6
Brush makers 	4
Builders 	15
Butchers	323
Cabinet makers 	1106
Canal men 	12
Carpenters	8,038
Carpet Makers	45
Carriers 	20
Carters 	78
Carvers and gilders 	6
Cattle dealers	3
Caulkers 	27
Cement makers 	1
Chair makers	183
Chandlers 	58
Charcoal burners 	3
Chemists	2
Cigar makers	28
City, county, and, town officers 	862
Clerks	2,967
Clergymen 	1087
Clock makers 	8
Clothiers 	33
Coach makers 	587
Collectors 	117
Colliers 	219
Comb makers 	2
Commissioners 	20
Confectioners 	129
Contractors	162
Conveyancers 	14
Coopers 	1,958
Coppersmiths	52
Corders	3
Cordwainers	3,506
Cotton Manufacturers	4
Cutlers 	6
Daguerreotypists 	19
Dairymen 	12
Dealers 	17
Dentists 	140
Die sinkers 	1
Distillers  	68
Draughtsmen 	38
Drivers 	285
Drovers 	37
Dyers 	25
Editors 	58
Engineers 	427
Engravers 	11
Factory hands 	230
Farmers 	106,807
Fishermen	116
Fruiterers 	18
Gardeners ancl florists 	183
Gas fitters 	7
Gato keepers	31
Glass manufacturers 	148
Glovers 	9
Gold and silver smiths 	79
Grocers 	651
Hair workers 	2
Hardware manufacturers 	3
Hat and cap makers 	226
Inn keepers 	888
Inspectors 	57
Iron founders 	151
Iron mongers 	36
Iron workers 	80
Jewellers 	67
Joiners 	192
Laborers 	46,989
Lace manufacturers 	3
Last Makers	3
Lawyers 	1,384
Livery stable keepers 	42
Locksmiths and boll-hangers 	26
Lumbermen 	153
Machinists 	405
Manufacturers not otherwise specified	157
Mariners 	1,753
Marketmen 	13
Masons 	2,216
Mast makers 	3
Mat makers 	11
Mathematical and surgical Instrument Makers	2
Measurers 	5
Mechanics not specified 	414
Merchants 	4,584
Millers 	2,173
Millwrights	595
Miners 	348
Model makers 	8
Morocco dressers 	6
Moulders 	127
Mould makers 	11
Musicians 	63
Music teachers 	29
Mustard makers 	4
Nail manufacturers 	87
Oil makers 	1
Ostlers 	15
Overseers 	3,747
Oystormen 	523
Painters and glaziers 	692
Paper manufacturers 	24
Pattern makers 	30
Pavers 	11
Pedlers 	150
Physicians 	2,163
Piano-forte makers	3
Pilots 	108
Pipe makers 	10
Planters 	1,374
Plaster figure makers	3
Platers	13
Plough makers	27
Plumbers 	11
Potters 	103
Powder manufacturers	1
Printers 	318
Produce dealers 	12
Professors	56
Quarrymen	9
Railroad men	91
Refectory keepers 	11
Refiners 	2
Reporters	2
Riggers	3
Rope makers	43
Saddle and harness makers	1,074
Safe Makers	5
Sail makers	90
Salt makers 	40
Sash and blind makers	17
Saw makers 	7
Sawyers	136
Sculptors 	1
Servants	79
Sextons	5
Shingle makers 	33
Ship carpenters	297
Silk manufacturers	1
Slaters	8
Soldiors	274
Speculators	37
Spinners 	53
Starch manufacturers	1
Stave makers	12
Steam-Engine Manufacturers	6
Steel Manufacturers	2
Stone and marble cutters	427
Stove makers	2
Students	3125
Surgeons	15
Surveyors 	18
Tailors	1781
Tanners and curriers	512
Teachers	1785
Teamsters	228
Telegraph operators	27
Tin Smiths	285
Tobaeco manufacturers	444
Tool makers 	4
Traders	174
Trimmers 	32
Turners	44
Umbrella manufacturers 	2
United States and State officers	462
Upholsterers 	34
Varnish makers	2
Veterinarians	2
Vinegar maker	2
Watchmen 	71
Watchmakers	69
Weavers	185
Wheelwrights	1,761
Wire makers	3
Wire workers	10
Wood corders	4
Wood cutters	49
Wool combers and carders	60
Woolen manufacturers 	5
Other occupations	1978
Total	226,875
Excel summation	226876
Establishments
Cotton Factories	1148
Woolen Factories	376
Iron furnaces, forges, foundries, rolling mills, etc.	2756
coal mining	1044
Gold Mining	139
Tobaco Manufactures	4696
Glass Factories	391