From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:34:44 -0500
On Feb 13, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Richard Labunski wrote:

> Dear List Members:
>
> I read in the Chronicle of Higher Education recently that some
> researchers
> use digital cameras to capture images that they use in place of
> photocopies
> (when the material is too fragile) or for illustrations in their
> published
> work.  (I know that copyright permission would need to be obtained for
> the
> use of illustrations).
>
> I would like to purchase a camera for this purpose and would be
> interested
> to know:
>
> 1)  If you have a recommendation as to what type of digital camera
> would be
> best suited to taking images of handwritten letters, old newspapers,
> and
> other archival materials? (The camera would be on a tripod probably a
> foot
> or so above the document, so it would have to be one that is effective
> for
> close-up images).

I have used a Nikon Coolpix 5000 with very good results in just those
ways. It has a macro capability, allows white balance to be set based
upon the color of the material photographed in relation to available
light, is able to turn off the flash and will save in TIFF. I do find
that saving in JPG works very nicely and can convert the image later if
necessary. TIFF images tend to be very large and unless you're
enlarging very small parts to enormous size, the image doesn't become
pixilated.

I'd say that anything above 5mp would work and it's a preference matter
beyond that. Most of the cameras do the same things. I have found that
you will need two batteries and probably two 256mb cards to hold the
images. Once liberated from film, it is simply amazing how many photos
become useful.

> (When it comes to illustrations, I need a camera that will take images
> that
> can be saved in a TIFF format and can be used in a forthcoming book).
>
> 2)  And if the Library of Congress and other facilities permit
> researchers
> to use a camera for items that they have not digitized themselves?

Most will, if they haven't got prohibitions against cameras period.
Best to check individual locations before though.

Lyle Browning