From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 01:29:00 -0500
An interesting question!

The big new visitors' center at the U.S. Capitol is also going to be
underground.  It does seem to be a significant trend.

My (uninformed) guess is that there are two main reasons for the
underground approach: security (in the case of high-profile sites such
as Virginia's and the nation's capitols); and history-sensitive
aesthetics: an underground site has minimal impact on a historic
landscape.   Going underground can also mean a lot more room when
above-ground space is already tight.

Have you been to either the Sackler Gallery or the National Museum of
African Art, the two Smithsonian museums that are almost completely
underground?  They both work rather well, I think.  But then, the
galleries of a museum--in which windows are undesirable because of the
effect of sunlight on precious artifacts--are a special case.

--Jurretta