From:
Tom Hill for MMNA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:38:06 -0400
The deeds and wills were often separately maintained even before the cities
were separate counties.  The Hustings Court or Corporation Court kept deed
records for Alexandria and Richmond.  Alexandria's Corporation Court
recorded deeds even while Alexandria was part of the District of Columbia,
1791-1846.  One Alexandria property is first dealt with in Fairfax County
deed records, but picked up in Corporation Court before 1817, when a
relevant Quaker deed is in Corporation Court deed book K-2.  Similarly in
Richmond, the 1797 and 1800 deeds to the first Quaker meetinghouse are
recorded in the Richmond Hustings Court deed books.  The probate records may
differ slightly.  So one may need to search for some records regarding one
location in two different clerk's offices.

	Today the Winchester court clerk's office is separate from Frederick
County's even though the two clerks are in the same building and separated
only by a wall.

		Tom Hill

Thomas C. Hill
Charlottesville, VA  22901-6355 U.S.A.