From:
Julia Crosswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:04:01 -0500
The Shiflett Family Genealogy Website is pleased to announce the
acquisition of:

From Whitehall to Bacon Hollow: The George Foss Collection
http://www.geocities.com/~jcrosswell/Hist/GeorgeFoss/

for our "Their Culture, Our Heritage" section of the website. This
multimedia presentation has been compiled under the direction of George
Foss, who shared not only his research with us, but also his love of the
area and people.

Mr. Foss graduated from the Juilliard School of Music in New York City and
then joined the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington D.C.  During his
stay in Washington, in the late 1950's to the first half of the 1960's, he
made many field trips to the nearby Blue Ridge region of Virginia
collecting the ballads, folksongs, stories and instrumental pieces of the
settlers. The area from Whitehall in northern Albemarle County to Bacon
Hollow in Greene County became the focus of his research.

This collection includes:
The Book -  From Whitehall to Bacon Hollow
The Photos - images of the people he interviewed and recorded
The Songs - tune transcriptions, audio, and background information

This collection celebrates our cultural heritage. Please join us in
welcoming this special view of the past to the internet.

Julia Shiflett Crosswell
Shiflet Webmaster
Fort Worth, TX

Shifflett Family Genealogy Website:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/hills/4575/
March 1999 web site of the month at GenExchange

at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html.