From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2007 11:34:02 -0700
They should have had more information going to other areas of the country. I
am in California, and there was little information coming this way. Had it
not been for this list, I would have forgotten this was an anniversary year
for Jamestown. They could have had documentaries, programs to pass out to
schools, and more information through the internet. This was a missed
opportunity for historians to reach out to the millions of students and
immigrants who have little knowledge of this part of our history.

Anita

>From: John Frederick Fausz <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED?
>Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 02:10:18 EDT
>
>Hi Everyone:
>
>     With only 49 years and 51 weeks left before another Jamestown
>Anniversary is upon us, it might be interesting to survey our Virginia
>History interest group members about what they learned about the
>first colony that was New, Startling, and/or Hard to Accept, ETC.,
>amidst all of the hoopla during the 400th birthday season.
>
>As a published veteran of the Lewis & Clark Bicentennial, I was struck
>by how much anniversary trash obscured the few new "treasures" to
>emerge from a renewed "public interest" in those men and their famous
>expedition.  There were a few new insights, but most of the true experts
>were perplexed about the birth of fresh fallacies and the failure to reach
>consensus on key issues never before in doubt.  PR and the quest for
>tourist dollars muddied the waters about "where the expedition began,"
>with the Mind of Jefferson at Monticello, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh,
>Louisville, Camp Dubois, St. Louis, the Mouth of the Missouri River,
>and St. Charles all vying for attention--and thoroughly confusing even
>the most dedicated teachers trying to make sense of it all.
>
>Did the Jamestown Quadricentennial produce similar confusions and
>contradictions for anyone?  What purported "legacies" are most
>historically supportable (leave out the politician-speak) and valid for
>Americans in the 21st century?
>
>Have Fun.
>
>Best Wishes from St. Louis, where the new Lewis and Clark
>statue on the Mississippi waterfront was almost totally engulfed
>by the rising river (a sign, perhaps?).
>
>Fred Fausz

>  See what's free at
>http://www.aol.com.

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507