From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2016 16:38:53 -0500
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

The war machine runs on money!  So says Ed Lengel, who will speak to us in January about “Money is the Sinews of War’’: George Washington, Money, and the Revolutionary War.   The next meeting of ARRT-Richmond is Wednesday, January 18.  Please mark your calendars to hear a different take on General Washington.  The regular reminder will follow in January.  Ed is now the chief historian for The White House Historical Association – where you get you annual Christmas tree ornament.  http://shop.whitehousehistory.org/  We’re pleased to have him make a return visit.

Bruce Venter had arranged a varied and interesting line up of speakers for 2017.  Check here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

And writing of Bruce, registration is now open for his and Lynne’s 6th Annual Conference of the American Revolution in Williamsburg on March 24 – 26, 2017.  Details are here.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2016/5th-annual-conference-of-the-american-revolution-2-2/  As I’ve said many times before, this is now the premier conference on the war.  And it’s sold out for the last two years.  Don’t wait to support our corporate sponsor.  And there’s a Yorktown tour, too.

Here’s a new book by our friend Kim Burdick of the Delaware Hale Byrnes House on revolutionary Delaware.  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1467135844/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2AWDD9J8J33EV&coliid=I3P3UMTFWJPQSE  Christmas is fast approaching.

Our own Cheryl Childress has an article in the most recent edition of the Goochland County Historical Society Magazine (Vol. 47/2016) entitled "Revolutionary War Pension Applications: A Treasure Trove of Information."  Copies of the magazine are available from the GCHS for $10, and may be ordered online at Goochland history.org or by calling 804-556-3966.  I’m sure Cheryl will be glad to sign your copy.

This news from the Smithsonian should be roundly praised by all students of the revolution.  Remember King George III?  Now read his papers.  http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/now-well-finally-get-see-american-revolution-through-eyes-king-george-180961057/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20161110-daily-responsive&spMailingID=27035804&spUserID=NzQwNDU3ODQ5MjYS1&spJobID=921956257&spReportId=OTIxOTU2MjU3S0  Frankie Liles also sent a similar announcement from the Library of Congress.  https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-16-188/?loclr=ealn

Here’s a short and somewhat dated piece about restoring Ben Franklin’s grave in Philadelphia.  Apparently, rocker Boni Jovi came through with a donation that put the effort over the top.  http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/bon-jovi-donates-dollar5000-to-restore-ben-franklins-grave/vi-AAkq959  I visited Ben’s grave many times as a kid, but I’m not responsible for the big crack.

John Maass alerted us to the February lecture “American Atlas: The Leadership of George Washington.” Details are here. http://pwcgov.evanced.info/eventsignup.asp?ID=30668&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=2/1/2017&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=2&AgeGroup=ALL&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=

John will be leading a three part series of tours covering the Revolution in Virginia.  Details are below.

Join Hanover Tavern and Dr. John Maass for a series of bus tours exploring the British invasion of Virginia  during the southern campaign of the Revolutionary War.  The series will kick off with a free book talk by Dr. Maass at Hanover Tavern on Friday, April 21 at 7 PM.  He will discuss The Road to Yorktown and lay the groundwork for the tours to follow.

Tour 1: April 22, 2017 (half day)

Cost: $70 (Hanover Tavern Foundation members) $80 (general public)
Journey to Charles City County and pick up the trail of British general Cornwallis, tracing the redcoats as far as Hanover Courthouse.

Tour 2: September 23, 2017 (half day)

Cost: $70 (Hanover Tavern Foundation members) $80 (general public)
The second half day tour picks up Cornwallis?s trail at Hanover Courthouse and continues west through Goochland County.

Tour 3: November 11, 2017 (full day)

Cost: $90 (Hanover Tavern Foundation members) $100 (general public)
Follow Banastre Tarleton?s ride to Charlottesville to capture Governor Thomas Jefferson, along with the famous ride of Jack Jouett, Virginia?s Paul Revere.

Bundle all three tours and save!  Cost to attend all tours, when purchased together: $220 (members) $240 (general public)  All tours include light breakfast at the Tavern and lunch. Tours depart from Hanover Tavern at 9:00 AM  Call Tom Seabrook at 804-537-5050 ext. 21 or email [log in to unmask] today to reserve your spot

This is a wonderful opportunity for those of you who missed our earlier tours with John.

Our own Jim Glanville sent this interesting video of his recent presentation on William Preston.

Appalachian Regional Community Television (ARC-TV) posted the video of the Botetourt County Historical Founders’ event to Youtube yesterday. It is at the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJUYMlLELbE.

The Botetourt County Historical Society awards are recorded during the first 35 minutes. The following 52 minutes record my introduction, my presentation “William Preston and the Making of America”, and the concluding question-and-answer session.

Thanks, Jim.

This from Linda Barth, a long time friend from New Jersey, about the upcoming First Middlebrook Encampment Symposium and accompanying $5,000 research prize.

            $5000 PRIZE TO BE AWARDED FOR THE
         BEST ORIGINAL SCHOLARLY RESEARCH
         ON THE FIRST MIDDLEBROOK
         ENCAMPMENT, MAY 26-JULY 3, 1777.
                      VISIT www.heritagetrail.org
        SUBMIT YOUR RESEARCH BY APRIL 1.

More details are available from [log in to unmask]  The first encampment is certainly one of the most overlooked events of the war.  Start digging.

Here’s wonderful news from Princeton.

Princeton Battlefield Society supports agreement to save hallowed ground on Princeton battlefield

 Institute for Advanced Study and Civil War Trust Agree to New Faculty Housing  Plan that Preserves Key Piece of Princeton Battlefield

 (Princeton, N.J.) – The Princeton Battlefield Society issued the following statement today in response to a compromise agreement between the Institute for Advanced Study and the Civil War Trust to preserve a key part of the Princeton Battlefield:

 “The Princeton Battlefield Society strongly supports the agreement between the Institute for Advanced Study and the Civil War Trust to save a critical portion of the Princeton Battlefield.   This landmark compromise brings to fruition a long-standing goal of the Society to preserve and interpret the site of George Washington’s famous counterattack at Princeton.

 “In our view, this agreement is a ‘win-win’ solution in which all stakeholders benefit:  the Institute achieves its goal to build faculty housing on a more modest scale; preservationists get to protect one of the most historic battlefield properties in the nation, and the Princeton region gets an enhanced historic destination that will attract visitors from around the globe.  We also hope this agreement will usher in a new era of cooperation between the Institute and the Society to transform the state park into the national treasure it ought to be.”

 “The cornerstone of the agreement is the acquisition of 13.73 acres of Maxwell’s Field by the Civil War Trust, along with an additional 1.12-acre tract that will ultimately be incorporated into the Princeton Battlefield State Park.   In exchange, the Institute has agreed to minimize its development footprint and cluster its faculty housing project as close as possible to the existing campus, in order to maximize the preserved land.

 “To facilitate this compromise, the Society agrees to suspend its litigation against the Institute, pending closing on the property by the Civil War Trust and the Institute at the end of June 2017.   Once that purchase is consummated, the Society will agree to dismiss all legal challenges.

 “The story of the Battle of Princeton – even that of the American Revolution – cannot be fully told without demonstrating the events that occurred on and near Maxwell’s Field.  We are grateful that the Institute for Advanced Study and the Civil War Trust has forged an agreement to preserve this historic site.”

 The Battle of Princeton was Washington’s first victory over British regulars. After a perilous crossing of the Delaware River on Christmas night, Washington repulsed a British attack in Trenton on January 2, 1777. That night, he evacuated his position and met British forces the next morning in Princeton. As Gen. Hugh Mercer’s Continentals and Brig. Gen. John Cadwalader’s militia were overrun, Washington rode up with reinforcements and rallied his men. Washington led the charge and sent Lt. Col. Charles Mawhood’s 17th Regiment running. The victory boosted a floundering Patriot cause and transitioned American independence from an ideal to a distant but achievable goal.

 The Princeton Battlefield Society is dedicated to the enhancement and preservation of Princeton Battlefield State Park and surrounding lands. The battlefield and Clarke House Museum are National Historic Landmarks and the Society assists in the interpretation, public education, research, grounds maintenance, and fundraising connected with the historical events and natural features of the park. Beginning 2017, the Princeton Battlefield Society will be hosting regularly scheduled interpretive tours at the battlefield.   The Princeton Battlefield Society is comprised of a fourteen-member board including: Jerry Hurwitz, President, Kip Cherry and Ben Strong Vice Presidents, Bill Meyer, Treasurer, Roger Williams, Secretary, and board members; Iain Ashton, John Baker, Jean Hultgren, Gary Nelson, Tim Nist, Andrew Pramer, Randall Riccardo, Anne Weber, and Glenn F. Williams.  For more information, visit www.pbs1777.org   The Princeton Battlefield Society (PBS) is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, and the only Officially Recognized Friends Organization (ORFO) of Princeton Battlefield State Park. The Park is administered by the State of New Jersey, Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks and Forestry, State Park Service, for the people of New Jersey and other visitors.

See artist rendering here.  http://www.campaign1776.org/about-us/news/civil-war-trust-preserves-princeton-battlefield-from-development.html

Huzzah to Campaign 1776!

Thanks to both the Princeton Battlefield Society, who never gave up on this long fight, as well as Campaign 1776, whose support resulted in victory.

Woody Childs sent this link of a recent lecture broadcasted on C-SPAN, featuring Paul Staiti.  His new book is Of Arms and Artists: The American Revolution through Painters’ Eyes.  https://www.c-span.org/search/?searchtype=All&query=of+arms+and+artists

Thanks for reading this long note.  Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New year to all my history friends.  See you in 2017!

Bill